Last Revised: March 8, 2022
- Collection of Personal Information
- Use of Information
- Disclosure of Information
- Data Security and Transfers
- Children’s Privacy
- Links to Other Websites and Third-Party Content
- Your Choices
- Additional Information for Individuals in Europe
- Additional Information for California Consumers: Your California Privacy Rights
- Contact Us
Collection of Information
Information You Provide to Us
We collect personal information you provide directly to us. For example, you share information directly with us when you create an account to access or use the Services, access or use any collaboration tools or participate in any interactive features of the Services, send us an email, fill out a form, respond to a survey, comment on a blog, register for or participate in an event, apply for a job, interact with us on social media, enter a promotional drawing, or otherwise communicate with us.
The types of personal information we may collect include your:
- Contact information, such as name, email address, postal address, and phone number;
- Education information, such as educational degrees, languages, professional memberships, qualifications, and certifications;
- Employment information, such as business unit/division, company name, job status, job title, office location, and LinkedIn profile information;
- Health and health-related information, such as accessibility requirements, dietary restrictions, and, where necessary and appropriate to protect the health and safety of our personnel and others, information related to symptoms of, or risk of exposure to, certain illnesses;
- Demographic information, which may include sensitive personal information or information about protected classifications, such as age, gender, race/ethnic origin, and nationality; and
- Any other information you choose to provide.
Personal Information We Collect Automatically When You Interact with Us
We automatically collect personal information when you access or use the Services. The types of information we collect may include:
- Log Information: We collect log information about your use of the Services, including your browser type and language, app version, access times, pages viewed, Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, approximate geographic location, and the webpage or online service you visited before navigating to the Services.
- Device Information: We collect information about the mobile device you use to access our Services, which may include the hardware model, operating system and version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information.
- Location Information: In accordance with your device permissions, we may collect information about the precise location of your device. You may stop the collection of precise location information at any time (see the Your Choices section below for details).
Information We Collect from Other Sources
We may also obtain information from other sources and combine that with information we collect through the Services. For example, we may use information from LinkedIn to update information about you in our contact database.
Information We Derive
We may derive information or draw inferences about you based on the other types of personal information we collect. For example, we may infer your location based on your IP address, or that you are interested in employment or participating in an event based on your browsing behavior on our Services.
Use of Information
We use personal information for various purposes, including to:
- Provide, maintain, and improve the Services;
- Personalize and improve your experience on our Services;
- Respond to your questions, comments, and requests;
- Provide the information or services you request and send you related information;
- Send you newsletters, updates, and other communications we think will be of interest to you, including about our services, programming, and events;
- Assess job applicants and make hiring decisions;
- Monitor and analyze usage, trends, and activities related to the Services;
- Manage your online account(s) and send you technical notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages;
- Detect, investigate, and prevent security incidents and other malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity and protect the rights and property of JDSA and others;
- Debug to identify and repair errors in the Services;
- Comply with our legal and financial obligations;
- Protect the health, safety, and vital interests of our personnel and others;
- Notify you about any changes to the Services; and
- Carry out any other purpose described to you at the time the information was collected.
Disclosure of Information
- With the applicable state bar association, we may share your name and bar number in connection with an application for CLE credit;
- With vendors, consultants, professional advisors, and other service providers that need access to your personal information to carry out their work for us;
- In connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of JDSA’s assets, financing or acquisition of all or a portion of our business to another company;
- In response to a request for information if we believe disclosure is in accordance with, or required by, any applicable law or legal process, including lawful requests by public authorities to meet national security or law enforcement requirements;
- If we believe your actions are inconsistent with our user agreements or policies, or to protect the rights, property, and safety of us or any third party;
- With other users of our Services if you post content to interactive areas of those Services. For example, any personal information you post in connection with an online profile, blog, or other interactive areas of the Services will be available to other users of those areas and, in some cases, may be publicly available; and
- With your consent or at your direction, including if we notify you that your personal information will be shared in a particular manner and you provide such personal information. We may also share your personal information with third parties when you intentionally direct us to do so or when you use our Services to intentionally interact with third parties.
We may also share aggregated or de-identified information, which cannot reasonably be used to identify you.
Data Security and Transfers
Although we employ reasonable security measures, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure or private. If you have any questions about the security of personal information we collect, please contact: [email protected].
While in another jurisdiction for processing, your personal information may be accessed by the courts, law enforcement, and national security authorities of that jurisdiction. These jurisdictions may not provide the same level of data protection as your home jurisdiction.
The Services are not intended for children under the age of 18. JDSA does not target our Services to children under 18 or knowingly collect information from children under the age of 18.
Links to Other Websites and Third-Party Content
You have certain choices with respect to how we treat your personal information, as described below.
You may review and request modifications to your personal information by signing into your online account or contacting us at [email protected].
You may opt out of receiving promotional communications from us or request changes to your communication preferences by following the instructions in those communications or by emailing us at [email protected]. if you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional communications, such as those about your account or our ongoing business relations.
When you first launch any of our mobile applications that collect precise location information, you will be asked to consent to the application’s collection of location information. If you initially consent to our collection of this information, you can subsequently stop the collection of this information at any time by changing the preferences on your mobile device. If you do so, our mobile applications, or certain features thereof, may no longer function properly.
Mobile Push Notifications/Alerts
With your consent, we may send promotional and non-promotional push notifications or alerts to your mobile device. You can deactivate these messages at any time by changing the notification settings on your mobile device.
Additional Information for California Consumers: Your California Privacy Rights
Additional Disclosures Related to Collection, Use, and Disclosure of Personal Information
The California Consumer Privacy Act or “CCPA” (Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.100 et seq.) affords consumers residing in California certain rights with respect to their personal information. If you are a California resident, this section applies to you.
- Categories of Personal Information Collected: In the preceding 12 months, we have collected the following categories of personal information: identifiers, characteristics of protected classifications under California or U.S. law, professional and employment-related information, education information, commercial information, internet and electronic network activity, inferences drawn about your preferences, and other categories of personal information that relate to or are reasonably capable of being associated with you. For examples of the precise data points we collect, please see “Collection of Personal Information” above.
- Business or Commercial Purpose for Collecting and Using Data: We collect personal information for the business purposes described in the “Use of Personal Information” section above.
- Categories of Sources of Personal Information: We collect personal information from you and the sources described in the “Personal Information We Collect from Other Sources” section above.
- Categories of Personal Information Disclosed and Categories of Third-Party Recipients: In the preceding 12 months, we have disclosed identifiers, commercial information, and internet and electronic network activity to the following categories of recipients: cloud service providers, consultants, data analytics providers, state bar associations, internet service providers, data storage providers, and operating systems and platforms. We also disclosed professional and employment-related information and education information to cloud service providers and consultants.
- Sale of Personal Information (as defined by the CCPA): We do not sell your personal information.
Your Consumer Rights as a California Consumer
Subject to certain limitations, you have the right to (1) request to know more about the categories and pieces of personal information we collect, use, and disclose, (2) request deletion of your personal information, (3) opt out of any “sales” of personal information that may be occurring, and (4) not be discriminated against for exercising these rights. You may make a request by calling 1.509.662.3685 or visiting this page. We will verify your request by asking you to provide information sufficient to confirm your identity, such as your name, email address, and information about your interactions with us. If you would like to use an authorized agent to exercise your rights, we may request evidence that you have provided such agent with power of attorney, or that the agent otherwise has valid signed authority to submit requests on your behalf, and ask that you verify your identity directly with us. If you are an authorized agent seeking to make a request, please write to [email protected].